Current Tax Rates

As a permanent employee, your deductions are made before the money reaches your bank account. As a contractor, things are slightly different; it becomes your responsibility to take care of things.

With tax rates and allowances constantly changing, it can soon become confusing. We have taken the most common taxes and have looked at these in more detail.

Let's talk

Income Tax

Income Tax is a tax which is paid on the income you receive.

In the UK, you don't need to pay tax on any earnings under £12,570; this is known as your personal allowance. Once you start earning over this amount, you will begin to pay tax.

The amount you pay depends on how much you earn on a yearly basis, and can be found in the table.

Your personal allowance can begin to decrease when you earn over £100,000. Your personal allowance will decrease by £1 for every £2 over £100,000.

National Insurance

National Insurance contributions allow you to qualify for a range of benefits, plus the State Pension.

You will pay National Insurance if you're over the age of 16, and either:

  • Employed and earning over £184 per week (£737 per month).
  • Self-employed and making a profit of at least £6,515 per year.

However, if you earn between £120 and £170 per week, your contributions will be treated as having been paid. This protects your National Insurance record.


Any questions?

For guidance and advice regarding tax and your allowances, get in touch with our experts.

Let's talk!

Interested in finding out more? Speak with our expert Sales Team to see how we can work together.

Here's how you can get in touch...

Existing client?
If you're already a client of ours, you can speak to your dedicated accountant directly.

Alternatively, call us on 03330 342 480